As we settle into the new year, we’ve had a few weeks to absorb marketing trends we’ve seen so far in 2017 and keep track of emerging technologies that are here to stay. If you haven’t planned out every marketing task for the year – or even if you have! – take a look at these five ideas that can help you stay relevant, effective and competitive.
- Animated graphics - Using animated graphics, also known as 2D videos or gifs, is a great way to make your email marketing, website or social media posts more engaging for users. They can be used to make certain areas of your website stand out, or showcase your content in new and exciting ways. Even adding just a flicker of movement is enough to grab attention better than a static image, without distracting from the content. Brands are using animated graphics to create eye-catching backgrounds, animate text or draw attention to key products. Take a look at animated graphics in emails here and here to see how some companies are utilizing this technique.
- Chatbots and messaging apps - According to Forbes and Entrepreneur magazines, Chatbots are one of the top marketing trends to watch in 2017. Just what is a Chatbot? It’s a computer program that carries out a conversation with people using both artificial intelligence and natural language. As more consumers are communicating with brands through the web, social media and apps, there is a growing need to be able to have a personalized, one-on-one conversation around the clock. Chatbots and messaging apps open up a new way to respond in a timely manner and provide a convenient channel of communication for a whole new audience.
- Plastic postcard mailers - Even in today’s digital world, there’s no question that an effectively designed, targeted and executed direct mail piece can still deliver results. A growing trend in direct mail that is helping companies stand out from their competition is printing postcards on plastic. Not only are plastic cards more durable and arrive in excellent condition, their unique look and feel stands out from the competition and is more likely to be posted on the refrigerator or retained for future use. Perhaps the biggest benefit of plastic postcards is the ability to design a pop-out card, such as a gift card or membership card, which entices readers to visit your business or take advantage of special offers – making them extremely versatile and effective.
- Executive branding - Research shows the old adage still applies – “people buy from people.” But what does that really mean? When potential customers look into a company, they want to know the people behind the product or service know what they’re doing. That’s where Executive Branding comes in – building the profile of key individuals within your business to help verify your value in the field and create or enhance trust between your brand and potential customers. You could start by adding a “meet the team” page to your website to help humanize your company, and then develop thought leadership strategies by using company blogs, speaking opportunities or social media to position your leaders as experts in their field. Executive branding not only enhances your company’s reputation, it also helps your audience connect to the individuals behind your company long before the first point of contact.
- Content marketing - As consumers are gaining the ability to break through the online clutter and even avoid ads altogether, it’s more important than ever for brands to be more than just a logo and tagline. Companies are now writing blogs, taking photos, uploading videos, making presentations and creating all sorts of other content to increase web traffic, enhance their brand reputation and drive meaningful business results. An added bonus? Content influences almost every other digital marketing strategy – from improving SEO and attracting new traffic, to providing material for social media channels and influencing conversation.
At Malouin Marketing, we are committed to staying on top of the trends and helping clients of all sizes meet their objectives by developing clever and effective marketing programs that stand out from the pack. We’d love to help you meet yours!
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation quote on your next project.